Planning For Life After Tracer Summit- Article by Michael Carr
Trane has officially announced end of life (EOL) for the Tracer Summit platform. This includes the Tracer Summit workstation software (graphics), the building management platform (Building Control Unit or BCU), in addition to LonTalk unit controllers (MP580, MP503, VV550 and ZN521). The Summit software and BCU products have already been retired, and the LonTalk controllers are anticipated to be retired within the next year.
Failure of any of these components could result in costly down time as an emergency repair or replacement is implemented. Brady specializes in providing the technology migration path for this platform and can partner with clients to plan for the eventual upgrade in a proactive, budgeted manner.
Time to Plan
Trane’s newest BACnet, web-based systems modernize buildings and reduce the possibility of downtime from potential failure. They also offer features not available through Tracer Summit to help manage and maintain facilities, resulting in lower energy costs and more comfortable occupants. The migration can be implemented on a tiered basis, using backwards-compatible platforms, and does not necessarily mean whole system replacement immediately.
Other benefits besides avoided obsolescence include:
- Improved trend utilities and automatic reporting capabilities
- Improved equipment and floor plan graphics
- Operator-developed and user-customizable energy dashboards
- Trane BAS Suite app for iOS and Android devices
- Analytics-ready connectivity
- Support of modern standards including BACnet, LonWorks, and MODBUS as well as the older Trane proprietary protocols
- Support for industry-leading wireless controls systems, resulting in unit controller replacement without the costly requirement to install loops of network cable throughout a building
- Programming flexibility and new energy efficient sequences into your building which would help offset upgrade costs
Free Site Assessment For Tracer Summit Users
If you currently have a Tracer Summit system, we invite you to take advantage of a free site assessment to review your facility. Upon completion, Brady will provide you with scope and budgeting services for future upgrades, which can be done in a cyclical and phased manner as your budget allows.